Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Hunger Games: First Impressions

First and foremost: A well done book, film, radio drama, etc., must, at the very least, appear to be somewhat plausible for my mind to fit comfortably around whatever respective world is being offered -- no matter how outrageous the plot line and/or setting. The Hunger Games fits my definition of an implausible future or alternate universe. I, simply, could not accept the whole, combined premise of nuclear war, starvation (they all looked pretty, healthy and nourished), rebellion, districts and gladiator style human sacrifice (of varying ages and genders). Even a film like, Never Let Me Go (which greatly disturbed me), did not stretch credibility to the same degree.
That and a lack of character chemistry aside -- especially between Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) -- the survival and action scenes were extremely satisfying. I would rate this movie no higher than three stars. It was good. Perhaps, if I had read the books, I would be more of a believer....

No comments:

Post a Comment